Did you know we are called to both TITHE and GIVE?
What’s the difference you ask? Tithing is an act of obedience, mandated in Scripture. Tithing is giving a portion of everything you have back to God. The act of tithing reminds us that God is our provider and that He has called us to support His works.
Giving, on the other hand, is an act of the HEART. In Exodus 25:2, God told Moses: “Tell the Israelites to bring me an offering. You are to receive the offering for me from everyone whose heart prompts them to give.” When we are prompted by the Holy Spirit, we are called to open our hearts and give freely.
Here is what Scripture says about GIVING:
- “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (2 Cor. 9-7)
- “A gift opens the way and ushers the giver into the presence of the great.” (Prov. 18:16)
- “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.” (1 Chron. 29:14)
- “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” (Prov. 11:25)
- “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Luke 6:38)
At Trinity, we know each person is made in the image of God. We know that He is a great and generous God and that He instilled that same generosity in us. As a family, we tithe to God what is rightfully His. And as a family, we open our hearts and GIVE when we are prompted to give. That is why Generosity is Our Privilege!!